Indivisible

When I was young, I used to have this neighbor, a crotchety old man who would always rant and rave about politics. A steadfast Republican, he'd proudly admit who he voted for every election and would lash out when some no good, tree-hugging Democrat would eek out a victory over the candidate he was backing. I recall, back then, being Republican wasn't as frowned upon in my neighborhood as much as it is now. However, I always wondered what the big deal about politics was no matter who was running. At the end of the day, I was blessed with being able to see the world through the eyes of a child. I was always raised on the notion that we live in one united nation; a nation that was "indivisible." A word I learned at a very young age because I pledged allegiance to my country every morning in school. (Yes. Catholic school, in case you were wondering, so I had no problem with that "under God" part that seems to have the whole of the universe in an uproar.)

It kills me to see a nation that I was always taught was the best in the world squabble and bicker over trivial things. However, I do not suffer the handicap of seeing life through the eyes of a child anymore. I know now that this is the way of things. I've accepted that and moved on. However, I hold fast to that childhood memory. It makes me a better adult; a better American. So much so, in fact that this election was the first time I voted for a candidate other than a Republican or a Democrat.Was it foolish? Does it make me an idiot like Chris Matthews and the rest of the talking heads proclaim? I don't know but the simple fact is I do not care. I grew up in a country that only had two parties. You were on one side or another but at the end of the day, we were all American. Now, after watching this last election, I see more and more people exulting the fact that they live in either a red state or a blue state. People are choosing sides over which is better and that, my fellow Americans, does not make us united. Moreover, just as I am free from seeing the political world through childhood eyes, so too am I free of the doldrums of election propaganda machines. There are always more choices to be made and the people of these United States are starting to realize that. Washington, D.C. needs to understand the generation they branded with the letter "X" are not only old enough to vote but they are also intelligent enough to research their own future leaders of this country. They're open-minded and logical enough, in some states, to see that the legalization of marijuana won't lead to the cataclysmic demise of our country that the Old Guard had us believing would happen. (By the way, way to go, Colorado and Washington!) That, in turn, will take power away from the cartels on the borders that seem to be the only ones reaping the benefits of having marijuana be illegal. Citizens of the United States, like our fellow Texans, are mature and responsible enough to carry firearms without shooting themselves in the foot or causing harm to others. Why can't the rest of the country do so? The criminals don't seem to have a problem carrying arms. Why can't I, a law-abiding citizen, carry a firearm? Why is immigration a problem? Why can't we agree on a decent and fair health care system?

Problems, problems and more problems. And now there's talk about a number of states wanting to secede from the Union?! (sigh) In the end, we won't get anywhere unless we're all in it together and, if you don't believe that the party you represented in the election represents your interest anymore, I challenge you to search out a party that does. (There are many!) Some may sound radical but wasn't it a radical idea for us to become our own nation over 200 years ago? It's time for this nation to "grow-up" and start making it's own choices. Then, we will truly be united. Then we'll be indivisible. Then, when we speak of the United States as a "free country," it won't be considered as false advertisement.

Comments

  1. word. always good to read something like this. gives me hope in the future for what sometimes seems to be a doomed political process.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts