Swift Kick In The Ass!

So, I'm at work. As I walked through the lobby I couldn't help but recall a few days ago when I was manning the lobby to the Stonehenge (as if it were some sort of spacecraft) and engaging in the neverending battle of fighting of the doldrums of boredom and waves of unfulfillment that my job brings. I had checked my Facebook, Twitter and email already. Played all of the games on Facebook that mostly just involve timers or poker games that is only for fun and doesn't use real money. Needless to say, I was bored. I was just about to look for the copy of Frankenstein I downloaded onto my iPhone when in walks a tenant from the street. She normally doesn't walk her dog at so late (read: almost early) at night but she couldn't sleep. Since she wasn't one of my regular nocturnal residents, this was the first time we made each other's acquaintance.

As it turned out, the thing that was keeping her awake was recent events. The massacre at Sandy Hook. All those children...
I don't want to bring it up. It was atrocious! While I don't believe we, as a people should igore the tragic events that happened this past December 14, nor do I want to add more infamy and faux fame to the psychopath that commited said atrocities, I can fully understand why anyone would lose sleep over it. That's all I'll say on the matter. This blog isn't about that. What it is about is Fate.

For a long while, I've been questioning whether or not I'm too lazy to be a writer. Lo and behold, the Good Lord chooses to send me a fellow writer to cross my path. After she tells me why she can't sleep, she begins to tell me that she is a writer and how difficult it is to be one; she tells me of how she has deadlines and even she needs a good kick in the ass every now and again. A torrent of unrequested information came forth from her lips and yet, it was exactly what I needed to hear. "It's not going to write itself," she told me. Above all else, I remember that phrase. No truer phrase could have ever been spoken to me at that moment. It was sound advice and counsel. Profound, even. For just a split second, I felt like that message was intended just for me. And who knows? Maybe it was.

I have so much to write. So many ideas that have yet to make it to paper but, for some ungodly reason, I procrastinate. Even this blog was intended to be published days ago. Perhaps, God has realized that I'm too dumb for subtle hints and He has upgraded me to swift-kick-in-the-ass status. I think it's time I start writing then before I get another upgrade and He starts sending down some lightning bolts!

Comments

Popular Posts