The Resolute.

It would taste a lie if I sat here and told you that I don't make New Year's resolutions. I like to think that I don't. I like to convey to others that I'm above such petty contrivances but the truth is I'm human. (Well, technically human as it pertains to the word's most basic definition.) Besides, the coming of a new year brings with it hope. Hope is the stuff of dreams and, since we are always chasing after our dreams, we "resolve" to complete goals that will bring us one step closer to achieving our dreams.

I have made a few this year. More than a few, actually. However, they are mine. They are changes or promises I've made to myself so I will not readily share them. Not yet anyway. Sounds odd, does it not? Especially considering the the reason one shares their resolutions is too keep themselves honest; you tell people so they constantly remind you of your goals. Furthermore, why blog about it?

The truth is, well, I don't know how to say this politely so I'll just say it: I don't want to hear your shit! You know whom and what I'm talking about. All the negative comments that come from people that have either seen you attempt a particular resolution before (and fail miserably) or they're just naturally pessimistic. Statements that usually come from friends and loved ones. That's not to say that all of them are negative. However, even the positive ones can be annoying. Case in point, that friend of yours that reminds you about your diet resolution seconds before you take a huge bite into the blessed deliciousness of a Boston Creme donut from DD. I don't need to hear that!

Still, I just wanted you to know that I'm normal sometimes. Like you. I have made resolutions and I aim to keep them. Writing more blogs is one of them. (Resolution #3) I might even do it so often, I won't need to go to confession at church at all. (Resolution #10) And if you're reading this or, more accurately, you are reading this blog for the first time, then I'm fulfilling yet another of my resolutions in the process (Resolution #4) and I thank you in advance.

All in all, this should be an interesting year, at best what with all these "rules." It's going to be tough but hey! I don't smoke anymore. That's a 2012 resolution that is still going strong. So if you're reading this and you're doing all the better due to your changes and sacrifice, remember that you are not alone and that I'm proud of you. Just like I'm proud of me. (Resolution #18) ;)

Comments

Popular Posts