Walkies.

This past couple of weeks, I have had the honor of being woken up out of a deep and comfy sleep day after day so as to soothe the whines and whimpers of two of the most loveable characters I have ever met. I have been ever so privileged to be their "valet" on long walks, their security guard when other passerby mutts want to instigate a fight and have had the dubious honor of picking up their poop for the better part of a decade.
My RJ. My Maggie. I've known these dogs since they were both puppies and they sure as Hell remember me. Who forgets their favorite uncle? The one that spoils them and pretty much caves in to their every desire. Not my puppies! That's why my cousin trusts me with their safety when he's away. Moreover, it's also why I never charge for my puppy-sitting. I'm a dog-lover. However, MY dogs are golden to me. Even now, as I write this outside of their presence, I miss them immensely. I forget, sometimes, just how vital they are to my well-being; at times, they're the only ones that can unlock a smile from my vault-like grimace. And sometimes, when I let my mind wander into the macabre world of inevitability, I shed a tear or two when I realize that I'll have to lay them to rest someday.
All the more reason to seize the day, so to speak. I promised them I'd walk them more and I aim to keep my word. After all, my number one rule in life is, "Never lie to the dogs!" The funny thing is, when they look at me, sometimes I get the feeling that they're promising to walk me more often as well.

Comments

Popular Posts