Temet Amare

I posted this pic on Facebook last week as a joke as to what I was going to be doing on Valentines Day. Fast forward to last night and, lo and behold, that's exactly what I did. 

I went to the movies to watch Kingsman which was, in my humble opinion, a completely entertaining film but I shall elaborate more about that in another blog. I went to the theaters alone. I went with the awe and wonderment of a child as only a movie theater experience can produce. However, I was acutely aware that I was the only one in the theater who did so unaccompanied. I was immediately filled with shock, dread, horror, even at the fact…that I did NOT give two shits that I was alone! 

It was a pretty awesome feeling. In fact, I was quite proud that I went by myself. It was a movie I wanted to watch uninterrupted. Check! I also didn't want to waste money on snacks as I'm trying to watch my diet and get in shape. Check and check! That would've been quite difficult with a date. I did all that and, you know what? I had fun! I even treated myself to a burger and beer whilst watching a hockey game afterwards but I digress. 

The point I'm trying to make is that there are no rules on whether one has to bring along another person to watch a movie. Do you call friends over to watch a program on your TV? Moreover, it's ok to be alone. Yes! Even on Valentines Day! Society makes far too big a deal about having to be in a relationship and/or married by a certain time in one's life. As for the faux-holiday itself, I'm sure that, at one time, it served a purpose. You know, back when you had 7 kids at the start of the winter and 4 of them come spring and the more you had the more crops you could harvest. Maybe then, people needed incentive to make with the loving but now, not so much nowadays. 

Do what you love. Find things you love doing. Love finding new things to do and sure enough, if you focus on that. Love will find you. 

This blog is more for me than for anyone reading it in case I should forget how I feel at this very moment. However, let it be a reminder to everyone who reads it to love yourself and be happy.


Comments

Popular Posts