Less Than Stereo

It's starting to happen. I've always told people that I'm partially deaf in my right ear and that's true. However, lately, it's been getting worse. I'm starting to hear a high pitched tone when people speak. Either that or some words in a sentence go mute. I can't make them out unless the speaker talks with a significant amount of volume and inflection of syllables.

I'm not going totally deaf but it's still a bit scary. Ever since that incident in the Corps, I knew this could happen so, mentally and realistically, I've been getting ready. If you go half-deaf, you can go completely deaf and a Marine always adapts and overcomes, right?

Truth is, my doctor told me I'd be fine back then so long as I don't abuse my hearing. In hindsight, I figured out he was referring to loud parties, stereo music cranked to 10+ and the occasional heavy metal concert. Naturally, I didn't heed his advice. I guess, perhaps, that I may have heard him incorrectly.

Comments

Popular Posts