Children of God

I've never been married. It's not for lack of want. Sometimes it's less a matter of choice and more a matter of a lack of options. I just have never gotten hit with the bug. And don't get it twisted. Guys have a biological clock too. We do! It's more like a stopwatch for us; it starts and stops often but it still ticks. It's contagious! My best friend has two beautiful kids and seeing someone that you never would've thought was father material be an excellent father, it makes me wonder about my own hidden paternal potential. Everyone always says I'd make a great dad.

However, that last compliment is not a mystery to me. I was told I was a good "father" once by the one person in the world that those words actually matter from. My Goddaughter, Keishany. For the past 13 years, she's been the closest thing I've had to a daughter of my own. My sister's firstborn. I have been blessed to be there for many of her milestones and have been proud to have had my hand on her shoulder to guide her into young adulthood and fill with as much knowledge and wisdom (We hope!) as I could possibly muster. I have been the reason for many smiles and have been there to fight off the monsters that hide in the dark. Monsters, granted that I helped put there because I let her watch Halloween when she was nine. (Whoops!) Nevertheless, I've been there. 



God is grand. Having been blessed with having a beautiful Goddaughter already, I have been afforded the opportunity to be a Godfather yet again. This time, for Keishany's little sister, Karianna. The older one objected somewhat to me being her sister's Godfather. She wanted me to have that title mean something only to her. That's sweet and truth be told, I had planned on dying a happy man being the Godfather of just one child. That being said, now that I've been asked again I feel just as honored. I have to explain to my Godchild that nothing will ever change between me and her. We will always have a special bond but I just don't trust anyone to be a Godfather to her sister. If not, I would've declined. I can't deny her anything. Even something like this that seems so trivial. Then again, nothing is trivial when it comes to her.



Maybe I do have it in me to be a dad. Maybe one day I'll be rocking my own children to sleep. However, should that never happen; if the Good Lord does not deem me worthy to sire children of my own, I can still die a happy man knowing that I have been a great father figure to both my nieces. To both of my Godchildren. To both of my girls.

Comments

Popular Posts