How To Explain God To An Atheist.

Being that it's Sunday and many of you heathens have nothing to do since football season hasn't officially begun yet, I figured I'd take a little time out before church to explain God to you. No, I'm not gonna preach or recite Scripture. Relax!  However, I am gonna toss at you some fucked up theories that have been cooking in my head for quite some time. Some you will agree with. Most you may not but I feel compelled to do so given a recent prayer request I made to God. Again, I'm not here to preach. I just needed to say that first before I say this.

Ok. Are you ready?

Ok. I believe in God. I truly do. However, I think he's a scientist. 

Total mindfuck, right?! Nevertheless, I believe that theory has merit. I started thinking about it whilst watching the movie Groundhog Day. It was something Bill Murray's character said that struck a cord. He surmised that maybe God had just done everything already and that's why He was God. He had done everything so many times that he would appear to be God to anyone who noticed. Maybe that's why he knows everything. It's hard to refute that line of thinking especially coming from Bill Murray, whom many people think is God in disguise, but I digress. Furthermore, if he did do it all already, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that he made everything perfect. It's like when you first play a video game you have cheat codes for. You put all the cheats on and you're F'N invincible. You beat the game. Piece of cake but then you wonder, "Hmmm...I wonder if I can beat this game without cheats codes."

All scientists perform experiments too, right? I think we are the experiment. And, under that train of logic, if He's already done this experiment once already, we are the variable. We may have been created the exact same way as the first time but given free will just to see what we would do.

Everyone with me so far?

So, what if the experiment was to see if people believed in Him without His influence constantly upon us. What if he wants to see if we can talk to Him without His help. Maybe it's like one giant, celestial game of Where's Waldo? or something. Sounds crazy but that's the best way I can explain God/faith to non-believers. That brings me back full circle. In the first paragraph, I said that I prayed to God for something. As a good Christian, I'm supposed to spread the Word and preach about God but over time, I've noticed how, well, douchebaggy most evangelicals can be when they preach the Word of the Lord. That's not for me. However, I do want to spread the Word so I asked God to help me find the right words. Then I thought of this. Coincidence? I don't know. All I know is that this is the best way I could think of to explain something unexplainable.

Now I know you super-religious nuts reading this are going to say this is blasphemous but I don't care. I do believe in God and He made me in His image and likeness. God is perfect so I must conclude that he made me and gave me the gift of logic and reason for, well, for a reason. Faith is great to have but I think He'd want us to question everything. I know I would if I was conducting this experiment.

If we are all God's children, then we may very well be in our adolescent stage. That means we should question more often but learn from it as well. I think this can be achieved without losing sight that there is one supreme being. But then again, that's just my opinion. What's yours? I'm ready. Blow my mind away.



Comments

Popular Posts