I Feel Like A Twit!

I remember back when I made my MySpace account. Loved that website. What a novel idea for everyone to have their own little profile and share pictures and play games and inform all of their friends on what they were up to. If you had friends that lived far away as I did, that was ideal for keeping tabs on one another. Then Facebook pops up and, while I was reluctant at first, it changed my life in the sense that I didn't even have to ask my friends what they were up to. They're status update would bring me up to speed.
Fast forward to the present and you'll find me on the cusp of yet another milestone. That's right...
I finally created my very own Twitter account.
I won't lie. There's a part of me that feels like a sellout. I would always argue that I only needed one social network to let my friends know what I was up to at any given moment of the day. However, at the behest of my good friend, Rob, I signed up. He said that it was entertaining just to see the silly stuff people write and it is. It actually is entertaining. So here I am, figuring out yet another social networking site when I realize that, well...I'm losing my socializing skills.
Seriously, when was the last time you picked up a phone (and dialed a number from memory, mind you) to call up a friend and chat? Better still, when have you said to that person to meet you somewhere for drinks or dinner so you could socialize? (No, you're best friend doesn't count. You're supposed to do that with your BFF.) I'm talking about a person who's an acquaintance or somebody you want to get to know better or perhaps maybe an old friend who you've lost touch with. I know it's been an eternity for me.
And now I have a Twitter account. As entertaining as it is, I can't help but feel it's eating away at another portion of my socializing ability. I can't help but note the irony there. The social networks are making me unsociable. I think this is the beginning of the end. Skynet is going to build machines that become self-aware. These social networking sites are turning us INTO machines! And you know what's worse, I...really don't seem to mind. How can I? If I check into a bar or restaurant on my iPhone through Facebook, I might get free drinks or appetizers for my group. Hell! I got a discount for a pair of jeans once by checking into FourSquare when I was at the store buying said jeans!
I really do feel like a twit sometimes for seeing the inevitable future but doing nothing to prevent it. This socializing without socializing seems like a macabre sort of destiny.
OOOHH! I worded that awesomely. Hold on. I have to Twitter that!

Comments

Popular Posts