The Mid-Weekender

I keep the hours of a crack whore. Midnight to 8am, usually. No man or woman is supposed to work the shift I work for too long a time. It changes them. Fucks with some chemical balance in their bodies or something. Mind you, I'm no expert here and I'm talking out of my ass but it's a good theory. Good because I noticed I'm beginning to realize how much this graveyard shift has effected me. In short, my brain is a bit fried. Sometimes up is down; black is white. Often times, things don't make sense and at others I see things in perfect clarity. To be honest, the latter worries me more considering I believe perfect clarity to be a sign of madness, but I digress.
On top of that, I work weekends which sucks when I want to socialize with my friends outside of Facebook, Twitter, or X-Box Live. (Yes! That is possible to do, people! OUTSIDE is the original social network.) However, lately, I've noticed that more and more people tend to hang out midweek. On my Tuesday and Wednesday nights off of work, when I feel like unwinding at a bar or lounge, I encounter a shitload of people doing the same. (And here I thought I was only one working fucked up hours with fucked up days off.) I think the problem I had wasn't that I was missing out on the weekends. I think I just wasn't looking hard enough for interesting things to do on my days off. I mean, there is no rule that says that one can only have a fun night out on the town on a Friday or Saturday.
Just these past two weeks have been ridiculously interesting. Granted, it was my birthday last week and I was broke but drunk because of said birthday. However, I still realized that I can just go explore new places and have a blast. That being said, I hereby vow never to bitch about not having the weekend off. (Unless, of course, some chick wants to screw me and her only free time is on the weekend. Then, I will pitch a fit before calling out of work!) I will now stop complaining and start exploring. I will enjoy my mid-weekends and seek out others who have realized what I just realized. And that is: Carpe Diem. (Carpe Noctum for me!)

Comments

Popular Posts