I, Zombie

My body aches. To say I'm a bit sore is the mother of all understatements. I ache but it's a pain I accept freely as it has given me some insight on how difficult it can be on actors and stuntmen in the movie industry when it comes to making a film. My body has its dull pains here and there because I participated in a film project today. I got to play a zombie.

Eric had a friend who was filming a short zombie film for a school project and needed extras. Naturally, he asked Jorge and I if we were interested in lending a hand and we both jumped at the chance. If I may be so bold, I think I was awesome for my first time in front of the camera. I had no dialogue to memorize. Just a zombie moan here and there and a very convincing zombie walk. (If you've ever seen me stumble home from an all-nighter at the bar, you'll know I've had plenty of practice doing said walk.) I was also fortunate enough to be the "stunt" zombie. There was a part in the script that called for one of the zombies to get punched in the face. However, the director wanted it to look as realistic as possible so he wanted to see contact. Seeing as I've taken more punches than everyone present combined, I volunteered to be that zombie. If anyone can sell a punch, Lord knows I can. As it turned out though, I didn't have to take a punch. Halfway through filming, the punch was changed into a tackle from one of the protagonists. In a way, I should have been grateful but that tackle ended up hurting more than the punch. The reason being is that I had to fall on the concrete floor into a roll and then, get up slowly and zombie walk towards the camera. Now that may not seem like a big deal and for me it wouldn't have been had it not taken six takes to get that scene right. Six different tackles. Six different rolls. A whole lot of aspirin for me. I may have the mind and heart of a kid but my body constantly reminds me otherwise.

We shot a few more hours of scenes after that. Jorge hammed it up the way only he is capable of doing. As for Eric, I think he had less scenes than the rest of us and he was supposed to be the original extra. As for me, I can't believe I put in all of that work in on the minimal sleep I had. And by minimal sleep, I meant what I had gotten during my break at work because I was non-stop movement all day before the filming. Had to take my mom to the doctor's and run some errands, etc. Needless to say, my zombie came naturally. I was literally exhausted from all of the activity I scheduled into my day. However, one does weird things for what one loves. I love the craft.

I really do think I missed my calling as a stuntman. I love the industry. I love entertaining and being part of the kind of entertainment that only the movie industry can bring and I love, well, I have to be honest. I love the abuse! There's no other way to put it. Eric's already following that dream and Rob is doing something he loves. I should be doing the same. Just like that mini-production, I think I'll keep it simple. Read up more on film making and screenwriting. I definitely have to start putting all my ideas down on paper, now that I mention it. Hell! I might even take some classes at the University. No more excuses. I can't be an overnight security guard for the rest of my life and as much as I love serving and being a concierge, I need to start serving myself. I want to live in a high-rise where I have concierges to tip. I want to do something I love and live the good life because, truth be told...I think I'm becoming a zombie.

Comments

Popular Posts