Same Old Song and Dance

I haven't had a night like last night in a long while. Karaoke at O'Hara's in Jersey City is a blast! It's not for the timid or faint of heart. There is serious singing talent down there. You need you a hearty dose of self-esteem to sing down there. I have plenty nowadays but that's not why I went down there last night.

I went to see an old friend. As a matter of fact, DJ Steve is one of the chief reasons why I cannot resist the lure of singing in public. He was the very first karaoke DJ at the Wild Rover. Needless to say, we had a blast. Steve(cousin) kicked it off with Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down and I made the error of starting off with St. Anger by Metallica. I hadn't done that song in awhile, let alone the extended version and had forgotten how much of a toll it takes on your lungs and vocal cords. All in all, it was good fun.

It got me thinking about the past though. Hate it when that happens but it happened nonetheless. On top of that, some chick did a rendition of "At Last" by Etta James. That was me and Stephanie's song. Come to think of it, aside from Consuelo, Stephanie is the only other girlfriend that I've had a "song" with. At least Steph didn't tear my heart out though. I was grateful when that song was over. It's hard for me to dig myself out of that well of misery once I descend it. Nevertheless, I did. It wasn't easy but I did so.

So many thoughts and emotions run through me sometimes... I hate it when they take over. Sometimes I lose myself in a moment and, when I gather my senses, I realize I've lost a lot of time. I guess that's why I love singing and being around my friends. I don't get lost in my own thoughts. I need to sing some more. Maybe I'll try a new song.

Comments

Popular Posts