Limber and Hungry.

 

     I, like many people, use different fitness applications to keep track of my steps, exercises and even my meal consumption. Exercise alone is not the way to stay in shape. Diet plays a key role in a healthy life. So when one of my apps sent me a notification saying they had a "Year In Review," stat page of my fitness and dietary accomplishments, I was curious to see the results. They were very telling.

     According to www.myfitnesspal.com, I logged in 274 days, burned 306,100 calories, logged in 996 meals, 109 workouts, and my step count was 1,893,478. Not bad for someone who wasn't actively being active, so to speak. And then I hit a surprising stat to say the least. Frequently logged foods. While I know my eating habits aren't the healthiest, I hoped not to see too many junk food entries. I didn't. Instead, it came up with this:


Yes. You're reading that correctly. Of all the meals I've logged in, the one I've logged in the most is Yuengling Lager. My favorite beer. (Insert joke here.) Even my fitness app is trying to tell me that I may have a drinking problem. The food I consumed the most of in 2017 was BEER and, whilst I have no problem admitting that aloud and/or in public, Beer is delicious!, I cannot help but worry that I may have to make even greater sacrifices when it comes to imbibing that sweet nectar in order to achieve my fitness goals.

     The goal, in case you were wondering is 200lbs. I want to give that to myself as a present for my 40th birthday come September. My knees not hurting after a couple flights of stairs would also be a boon. Suffice to say, I'm a long way out from said goal. This isn't a resolution. I've been trying to hit that mark for quite some time now. Since 2015, perhaps. It never ceases to amaze me how easily I get sidetracked, lose focus or outright give into temptation. When my base instincts kick in, there is no arguing with them. I'm hungry, EAT! I'm thirsty, DRINK! There is no negotiating those terms. Sadly, that inner voice doesn't get me up and tell me to run a couple of miles or to jump, climb, and lift. It used to though. The trick this year, and hopefully for the rest of my life is to remember how to motivate my body to want that again. I have to remind my baser instincts that we're always hungry on a philosophical level. Complacency has always been an enemy of mine. Even worse is that it's one of those enemies that you always forgive and welcome back into your life even though you know, deep down, that it will eventually stab you in the back again and again. Mind you, we're saying all of this at 6am whilst eating leftover rotisserie chicken and downing that with a 20oz. Pepsi!

     It's in there though. The motivation. I woke up before my work shift yesterday weighed myself (313lbs.) and cranked out a 15 minute Daily 7 workout. It wasn't much but it was something. Seven little exercises and they all hurt like Hell. Surprisingly, the alternating toe touches are what kicked my ass the most. I am so big right now that I've completely lost a significant amount of my range of motion and flexibility. In hindsight, I haven't "touched my toes" for the better part of a decade! Furthermore, those 40 jumping jacks are the first I've ever done being this big and I observed something rather peculiar yet fascinating. If one is ever wondering how much extra weight they are carrying, they should do said jumping jacks in front of a mirror. HOLY SHIT! I looked like what the Pillsbury doughboy would look like in an earthquake! Seriously. I have so much blubber on me, I'm afraid to do a headstand for fear of self-suffocation. I don't want to be the first guy to be found dead having been smothered by his own fat, but I digress. I have a lot of work to do if I'm ever going to achieve that weight goal but at least I'm on the right track. For now. Let's see where we're at a week from now.

     A lifestyle change. That's what's in order. That's the plan. I may have mentioned it once. Hopefully, this will be the last time I feel the need to do so. The real goal is to document any and all changes in this blog and then look back proudly on my triumphs instead of lamenting on my failures as is usually the case inside my twisted little mind. Oh boy! Ten alternating toe touches and I got winded. Hmmm, maybe if I put a couple of Yuengling bottles by my feet...






Comments

Popular Posts