Lord of Stonehenge

So I work at a high-rise building as the concierge. That's just a fancy way of saying I'm a doorman. To be honest, I'm only concierge two nights out of my work week. The other three, I'm the night watchman of The Stonehenge on the Palisades. Sounds majestic, wouldn't you agree? (The name of the building, I mean. Not my title.) The building is accurately named because it is built straight into the bedrock of the Palisade cliffs. Thirty-four floors of concrete and metal spiraling towards the sky overlooking James J. Braddock North Hudson Park (Park 80 to us locals) to the west and the magnificent New York City skyline to the east. A nice place to work and during this shift a quiet place to work.

Truth is, I get paid well for doing very little. Don't get me wrong, when the shit hits the fan and there's a leak in someone's apartment because a pipe in the walls broke (It happens more often than I'd care to think about), I'm the go-to guy. Even when there's a complaint to be made because a tenant is making too much noise, I'm the guy that has to go knock on the door. Believe you me, that can be pretty dangerous in itself considering that I never know just how much drinking and coke a particular tenant might be doing behind closed doors. Either that or the "loud noise" was the tenant fucking and I just cock-blocked. More often than not, I try never going up to or into an apartment. Regardless of that, I get paid well, as I was saying and rightly so. This job is tougher than it seems merely because of the hours I keep.

Tonight is quiet. All I can hear is my sneezing echoing off the walls of the lobby. I think I may have caught a bit of a cold considering I was sans a jacket all day at the bar before I got here. Chivalry isn't dead and I gave my jacket to a female and I think I'm paying for it now. (Yes! I drank before work. When you work graveyard, you're forced to reschedule your day like that. Fun first, then work. It's like having dessert first, but I digress). Wait! Scratch that! Just got interrupted by a tenant. Let me see what he wants:

Someone's in your parking space downstairs?
Oh! Well which one's your space? 234? Wait. I don't seem to have you on my computer.
Oh! Because you haven't talked to management about a space.
Um...then you don't have an F'N space!

What the hell is it about this time of night that dumbs people down. Can't you see I'm trying to sleep here. Some people are so inconsiderate.

Comments

Popular Posts